Other than what I discussed, my initial design implemented a bit better layout. I added the little holes at the top of the board, which have the dual purpose of stitching the ground planes and also making it a lot easier to pull the board out with either a dental pick or a small piece of pre-installed thread. It took better advantage of the available space on the board and reconnected the cartridge detect pin to the SD detect mechanism on the SD card for easier SD swapping if desired. Above all, I was much better at advertising, and as PCBWay had just opened a year prior and didn't have that much traction yet, when I found it, they had just, days before I went to do it, implemented their new system for sharing community board designs. I believe I was in the first 3 posts on that board actually. The main reason my variation took off wasn't that I had an overly superior design, though it did feature several improvements. The real reason is that I put in the work to make it as easy as possible for anyone else, without an engineering background, to have the boards manufactured by PCBWay and make them up. I'm actually pretty sure that helped influence the maker community into finding out about PCBWay as well. Before, there were only a few YouTubers that mentioned them that I could see, but after, they really blew up with all the attention around it. Regardless, it was carried mostly by my effort in advertising and making things as easy as possible over my engineering skills. Given I was just out of school at the time, my engineering was still only so-so, and despite doing my best to correct things, I'm actually an electronics engineering technologist, not a formal electronics engineer, in case you get confused from several people mixing up the terms.